Wednesday, July 2, 2008

current reading


I'm a little late getting started on this series, as Flight is now up to Volume Five, but I want to give it a plug anyway. Flight is a series of graphic short story collections by various artists, and edited by Kazu Kibuishi, creator of the enchanting Daisy Kutter. Each story is based on the common theme of flight, but the authors use the theme variously - some are literal flights, some are metaphors, and some use the idea as a platform for stories of human interaction, dreams, heroism and family entanglements. The themes are complex and subtle, and the artwork is exceptional. At $20 for a collection of 20+ artists, it's a steal. I've been reading a few stories each night before I go to sleep. It makes for wonderful dreams.

Speaking of enchantment, I've also started rereading Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale. Many thanks to a friend who mentioned it recently - that's good stuff.

4 comments:

DaveShack said...

Hey, I just got a Winter's Tale unabridged audiobook last week that I'm looking forward to listening to. Maybe I could hook you up.

I've been enjoying the Flight series too!

Have you read ScaryGoRound webcomic?

Kateri Morton said...

Corwin, Corwin, it's taken me two years to catch up on your last round of recommendations. I'm easily distracted these days. I'd love the hookup for Winter's Tale. Audiobooks are great while I'm working.

I don't know ScaryGoRound, but I'll go check it out.

Spiderbite said...

I've been interested in Flight myself, but I never end up picking it up! Mostly because I never hear anybody talking about it. you've intrigued me. I might have to check it out now.

Brenda said...

I had to check out your posting after you mentioned it to me! :)

Now I'll have to check out Flight!