Friday, April 3, 2009

mortal combat: sunshine & clouds

Weather Earrings by glasfaden

Chicago hasn't had consistent weather for days now, which I guess is true of spring anywhere. In the course of a single day we can have balmy breezes and sunshine, followed a couple of hours later by bone-chilling sleet. I carry my umbrella on sunny mornings, only to forget it in the drizzly afternoon; I take terrible dark, foggy photographs and curse my camera; I drink a lot of Starbucks London Fog (it tastes exactly like it sounds - highly recommended).

Spring has also brought me a fresh appreciation for the classic grey & yellow color combination, which is everywhere from shop windows to a patch of sun on concrete. Shana was browsing through my urban legend shop earlier this week, found my quirk earrings, and said, "Hey, I think these need to go with Partly Sunny!" My earrings have a touch of mauve to them, so they're cheating a bit in the grey and yellow department, but the two pieces do make a really pretty pair - especially if you're into asymmetry. I started browsing around Etsy for more pretty pairings in yellow & grey. I wasn't disappointed.

Partly Sunny Yo-Yo Bracelet by cookoorikoo & quirk earrings by me:

I have an abiding love of unusual and standout ceramics. I think this most excellent tile by spaldingstudio has found a friend in soule's LetterPress Plate.

Pair fringe's piecey, edgy and impossibly romantic Wanderlust Lariat with lizarietz's plaid wool cloche for an incredible sculptural look.

Soothe your senses with savor's Earl Grey Creme Fraiche and this 8x10 Sparklers print by flandersfield.

Lean back and relax on your Be Nice or Leave Pillow by alexandraferguson while scribbling notes on LandMdesignwork's Seaforms notes.

I think these two pieces were meant to live side by side. On the left, Collecting Threads, acrylic on canvas original by lindanorton; on the right, Horatia, fine art print by kirby. {note: these pieces are not actually the same size. I took some liberties with file size.}

Enjoy a lovely spring weekend, and feel free to send me suggestions for more color pairing searches!

5 comments:

K-dad said...

Now THAT (weather earrings) is very cool! Definitely breaks the mold.

Kateri Morton said...

thanks, Pop! :) Shana gave me those for Christmas. Putting the pic up is just bragging, really.

Brenda said...

Perfection! All of it. :) Color combos ... how about blushy pink and charcoal (one of my fave combos)?

Dennice {Fringe} said...

oh lovely, i adore yellows and greys together! so many excellent choices in your collection, k. your earrings go poifectly with shana's bracelet.

thank you so much for including my lariat. i own that hat that i'm paired with :)

you're such a peach!
xo

Valerie said...

Gray and yellow are such a crisp color combination!