Friday, January 29, 2010

created in darkness by troubled americans: the best of mcsweeney's humor category

McSweeney's humor writing is one of those magic treatments that can improve the worst day - kind of like the Swedish Chef. This gem in Short Imagined Monologues is still making me giggle. A couple of years ago, some genius over there at the Internet Tendency thought it would be a swell idea to collect the really, really, really funny stuff and put it in portable paper form as Created In Darkness By Troubled Americans. This is great, because I can carry it around in my bag. Kind of an aspirin for the soul. Travel-size endorphins, accessible at will.

Grab a copy, and immerse yourself in lists (Words That Would Make Nice Names for Babies, If It Weren't for Their Unsuitable Meanings; Canceled Regional Morning TV Shows). Or maybe a nerd diatribe (On the Implausibility of the Death Star's Trash Compactor). In case you're not already convinced by these three titles alone (and don't forget the read the Steampunk monologue linked above), here's a sample list (lists are my favorite McSweeneyism - they're so efficient):

Subjects My Dad Doesn't Like and Will Discuss At Length If Raised
by Kate Harris

Peacocks

The blue rug my mother bought for the front room

People borrowing things from his shed

The motion picture Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Food courts

Sugar that has been spilled on the kitchen tiles

Alternative medicine

The fact that the cat is putting on weight

Odors that can't be explained

1 comment:

bethany said...

I love this one! Excuse me while I go pull it off my own bookshelf for a revisit.