Monday, November 12, 2012

leap of a lifetime.

After more than 18 months of planning, saving, setbacks and re-planning, I am so happy to finally be able to say that I'm moving. In 40 days, I'm moving 2,123 miles. Chicago to Portland. Old life to new life. I've been repeating these words to myself over and over and over for the last 10 days, partly in celebration and partly in an attempt to make myself believe that it's really true. That on December 21, I will work my last day at the high school where I've worked for 10 years. That on December 22, I will get on a plane with a one-way ticket and that when the plane lands, I will be in my new home.

It's something of a crash landing. I don't have an apartment lined up. I haven't found a new job yet. It feels like a massive achievement just to have arrived at this point, and I have people who will catch me when I fall out of the sky. To be honest, I'm not going to worry about the job or a place to live for at least a couple of weeks. I'll be staying with Shana and Shawn until I get settled, and I'm going to take a little time to recover. This year has taken every ounce of bravery and patience I have, and I need to collapse for a bit. Actual conversation from last week:

Shana: Is there anything you'll need when you get here, besides a game controller and a place to fall down?
Me: I love you. Oh, and beer!

For the next six weeks, I'm packing my apartment, working full time, trying to see my friends as much as possible, and running a small business heading into the busiest of the year. I'm excited, I'm overwhelmed, and I am profoundly tired. I'm also in some kind of epic design vein, badly timed but very welcome. Like a fugue state, with sparkles. I'm making piles of new things, which I'll list in the shop as I can. Fingers crossed, I'm planning to keep both urban legend and Leaves of Glass open until December 18. I don't have a date set for re-opening, but I'll make that happen as soon as possible after Christmas. (In the meantime, I will love you devoutly if you do your sparkle Christmas shopping early.)

That's all the news I have for now, but I'm thrilled with it and I think it's enough. 40 days. 2,123 miles.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Congrats! So excited for you :) (and also jealous)

Abby said...

yes!! way to be BRAVE!

K-dad said...

So eloquent...so you...