Sunday, December 15, 2013

63.

I was downtown with a friend a couple of days ago, and as we came out of a shop we walked up behind a woman at the corner. I overheard her say, "Are you texting me right now?" At first I thought she was on the phone, but then I noticed she wasn't holding one. The man standing next to her didn't seem to know her, and moved on across the street. Another man was moving towards the corner from our right, and she turned to look at him as he tapped away on his phone, and she repeated the line. "Are you texting me right now?" This time it bit, and he said, "I AM." "Well, you don't need to, I'm standing right here." "I can see that," he said. "I should have just looked up." But then the light changed, and he crossed the street as well. So plainly he didn't know her either. It was kind of cute. My best guess for this scenario is that it was a pixie-flavored pitch by a sex worker, but it might just as easily have been a chatty woman amusing herself on a street corner for a couple of minutes.

Portland, home of the creative spiel.

No comments: